Preventative dentistry incorporates the effort of the patient, the dentist, and the dental staff to maintain the natural dentition and to support structures by precasting the onset, progress, and recurrence of dental disease and conditions. The importance of good oral health has been encouraged by recent studies stating that the state of the mouth can have an effect on the body as a whole.
Here at Bellesmere Dental we reinforce practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with your dentist to keep your smile bright and healthy for many years to come.
At your initial dental visit, your dentist will perform a complete dental exam this is a thorough assessment which can the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential tool for detection of decay, tumours, cysts and bone loss.
- Oral Cancer Screening: The goal of oral cancer screening is to identify mouth cancer early when there is a greater chance for a cure. We check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any early signs of cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: The dentist or dental hygienist check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs and symptoms of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All teeth and tooth surfaces will are inspected for decay using unique instruments and radiographs.
- Examination of existing restorations: Composite resins, fillings, amalgams, Crowns, etc. Are evaluated to see the state if the restoration.
- Examination of the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ): The dental professional will be looking for an altered opening and closing pathways, abnormal sounds, tenderness, and limitations upon opening.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleaning is a preventative treatment performed by your dentist or dental hygienist
who thoroughly and gently clean the teeth and gums using a variety of instruments to catch potentially damaging buildup.
Plaque removal, tarter (also referred to as calculus), both above and below the gum line, can result in severe periodontal problems. Unfortunately, even with proper home brushing and flossing routine, it’s impossible to remove all debris, bacteria, and deposits from gums pockets.
The experienced eye of a dentist or dental hygienist can catch things you ca n’t. Apart from preventing periodontal disease dental cleanings can dramatically increase the aesthetics of a smile. Teeth Cleanings are an effective treatment in ridding the teeth of these unsightly stains.
At Bellesmere Dental, we recommend that you schedule a dental cleaning twice annually as a preventative measure, but should be completed every 3-4 months for patients who suffer from gum disease.
Dental sealants, usually applied to the chewing surface of teeth, act as a barrier against decay-causing bacteria. Most often, the sealants are applied to the back teeth, e.g., premolars and molars.
Custom-designed mouth guards are made of durable plastic and molded to fit the shape of your teeth. They are recommended to protect the jaw, tongue, cheek lining and teeth during physical activity and sports such basketball, boxing or other activities where your mouth might get hit. Depending on growth and activity level mouth-guards generally, last between 2-10 years, and can help prevent broken teeth and serious injuries such as concussion.
Custom-made oral appliances can also be used as part of treatment for conditions like sleep apnea and TMJ disorders. In general, plastic appliances can be used to correct a variety of problems.